Sunday 13 December 2015

I built a house, and in it I put no goats, a piano and a hot tub

I’ve been doing some thinking about community. What does it look like to live in community with others? How can we demonstrate the all-in, sharing, giving, rejoicing community of the early church in Acts 2? 

Jesus instructed his followers to love each other with these words in John 3: “As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” How can we live out this weighty command and show the world our Lord through the way we share our lives together?

How can individuals practise living as housemates and meaningfully care for one another without simply being strangers under one roof? Is it possible for families, couples and single people to live in community together? Can we have a real and relevant community that cares for its members and welcomes in outsiders?

I recently asked a few friends if they would ever consider living in some kind of modern commune. (Not the kind where you have to grow your own vegetables though, because I planted half a packet of sunflower seeds this year and succeeded in growing a grand total of one flower.) The first friend I consulted wanted to know if there would be goats. The second’s only condition was that there be a hot tub. And the third was very keen to have a piano. 

Is Christian community more a concept or way of living than a visible thing? Along the spectrum from buying a castle for everyone to live in, to always having an open front door and spare food in the freezer, what should it – or could it – look like today?

I would be really interested to hear your thoughts on some of these questions, to help us think more about the way we do community!

My solitary sunflower, or, how can we live and grow together?

2 comments:

  1. Great post, some thought provoking reflections. I've read a Shane Collabane book which talks about this same thing. He and his friends have actually done it. My husband and I have lived in the same house as another Christian couple. It was a big Victorian property with four bedrooms and two floors. There were a few teething issus, like washing up and general cleaning but other than that we loved it. We had two small children at the time and they didn't have any. We were all in our 20's and it was great to really get to know ppl, have oppourtunity for prayer and do life together. Our kids still have a special connection with them. Sadly there was no hotub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah - I'd heard about that actually, good to know your thoughts on it!

      Delete